Heat Stroke In Dogs: Symptoms & Treatment
Most people love their dogs the way they love their children. Unfortunately, unlike children, dogs cannot tell you when they are not feeling well. It is up to you to recognize the signs. During the hot summer months, you should pay extra attention to your dog health. This time of the season, pets are vulnerable to extreme temperatures and it is important that you are able to recognize the signs that your dog is getting overheated. By recognizing the signs, you can avoid your beloved pet from the suffering of heatstroke and possible emergencies.
Heat Stroke In Dogs
Heat stroke can be a very serious condition in pets. Dogs have just a few sweat glands in their foot pads; however, they don't have enough sweat glands to cool them down during extreme weather. Dogs can pant, but in extremely hot weather, this isn't always enough.
What To Do If You Suspect Your Dog Has Heat Stroke
If you suspect that your dog has heat stroke, there are a few things that need to be done to get his temperature down.
- Put your dog in the tub and run a cool, not cold, shower over him. Cold water can cool him down too quickly. Allow the tub to fill during the shower.
- In the tub, pay special attention to running the water on his head and neck.
- After the shower, put a cold pack on your dog's head to keep his body temperature down.
- Massage his legs to improve his circulation to prevent shock.
- Contact your vet. Heat stroke can cause hidden issues such as kidney failure and swelling of the brain. It is best to have your pet checked out even if you think you have his condition under control.
When To Call a Veterinarian
If the temperature is hot and your dog is showing the following symptoms, you should seek medical attention.
- Excessive drooling
- Very red gums
- Producing little or no urine
- Rapid heartbeat
If You Think That Your Dog Has Heat Stroke, You Should Contact Us At:
Bridgwater Veterinary Hospital and Wellness Centre
110-350 North Town Road
Winnipeg, MB R3Y oY4
We provide 24-hour emergency services!