Pet Safety With Halloween Candy
When it comes to Halloween candy, pet safety should never be overlooked. Your pets need to be kept away from Halloween candy, as it can make them severely ill. Before you open the door to trick-or-treaters, make sure you have consulted with a veterinarian at Bridgwater Veterinary Hospital and Wellness Centre in Winnipeg about keeping your pets safe from eating Halloween candy.
Dangers of Halloween Candy in Pets
There are certain kinds of Halloween candy that are especially harmful to pets. While it is common knowledge that anything chocolate should be avoided, this is far from the only danger. The raisins and grapes found in some candies are also hazardous for pets. Dogs are especially susceptible to these foods because they can result in kidney damage or kidney failure. While grapes and raisins on their own aren't deadly, the results of your pets ingesting them can be.
A less obvious danger to animals is any candy labeled as sugar-free. All sugar-free candies contain xylitol. Xylitol is what makes food taste sweet without actually using sugar to make it that way. While it is safe for humans, small amounts of it can be lethal to an animal.
Any candy high in fat can also be dangerous for pets. If your furry friends ingest too much of it, they can suffer from pancreatitis.
However, it is isn't just Halloween candy itself that is hazardous to pets. The paper the candy is wrapped in can be just as harmful to your animals. If your companion pets eat a candy wrapper, they could be at risk of obstructing their bowels. In many cases, surgery is required to get rid of the obstruction.
Prevent Your Pets from Getting Ill
If you know or suspect your pets have ingested Halloween candy, immediately contact a Winnipeg veterinarian at the Bridgwater Veterinary Hospital and Wellness Centre for prompt care. We are committed to caring for your furry friends and will address any concerns or questions you may have about them and their care. Call us at 204-452-0911 for more information about pet safety.