(204) 452-0911

Menu
  • Blog >
  • Toxic Holiday Foods for Your Pets
RSS Feed

Toxic Holiday Foods for Your Pets

Toxic Holiday Foods for Your Pets

During the holidays, we celebrate the occasion with friends and family members. Some of us will host big parties, and others will just have sit-down dinners. If you own pets and you know that they are going to be around at the gathering, take this opportunity to learn about toxic foods for pets. While there are some foods that are harmless for animals, there are also harmful ones that may require immediate care. If your beloved animal ingest one of the following toxic holiday foods, be sure to contact our veterinarians at Bridgwater Veterinary Hospital & Wellness Centre in Winnipeg for assistance.

Chocolate

Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which can poison your pets. If a guest gives your companion animals a piece of chocolate, it may result in seizures and even death. It is essential to let your guests know about keeping chocolate away from your animals.

Onions and Garlic

Many holiday dishes contain onions and garlic. These ingredients might make your dishes taste great, but they can be harmful to your furry friends. Garlic and onions can cause damage to the blood cells and lead to anemia.

Ham and Bacon

If you catch a guest trying to feed your beloved animals a piece of ham or bacon, you should stop them immediately. Pork can cause your pets to develop pancreatitis, which is a life-threatening condition.

Nutmeg

Nutmeg is incredibly toxic for pets. If your four-legged friend ingests nutmeg, it can cause stomach pains, seizures, and hallucinations. Since nutmeg is a popular ingredient in many recipes, you should let your guests know not to feed your pets table food at your get-together.

Nuts

Nuts contain many toxins that when ingested, stomach issues and other serious health issues can occur. Macadamia nuts, in particular, are the worst. Even in small amounts, they can cause vomiting, paralysis, tremors, and a rapid heartbeat. Anything containing nuts should be kept far away from your pets.

Grapes and Raisins

Raisins and grapes may be great additions to many of your recipes, but they can make your pets go into kidney failure. Even in small doses, these fruits are toxic.

Our Animal Clinic Can Help

If your pet accidentally ingests any of the food items listed above, take him or her to our veterinarians at Bridgwater Veterinary Hospital & Wellness Centre in Winnipeg. The sooner you get your pet to our animal clinic, the sooner he or she can get the emergency treatment that your animal needs.

Office Hours

Main Office

Monday:

Open 24 Hours

Tuesday:

Open 24 Hours

Wednesday:

Open 24 Hours

Thursday:

Open 24 Hours

Friday:

Open 24 Hours

Saturday:

Open 24 Hours

Sunday:

Open 24 Hours

No testimonials settings found. Please configure it