Common Household Items that Are Toxic to Dogs
Many pet owners have items in their homes that are toxic to animals. If you’re not sure what these items are, ask your Winnipeg vet. At Bridgwater Veterinary Hospital and Wellness Centre in Winnipeg, we can help you identify substances that pose a risk to your dog so you can safeguard his health. Here are some of the most common household items that are poisonous to dogs.
If you have problems with pests, chances are you have pesticides in your home to control mice, snails, ants, spiders, or other insects. If ingested, pesticides can be lethal to your dog, causing seizures, hemorrhaging, and organ damage. Keep these items stored in a safe location far out of your dog’s reach.
Many pets are attracted to antifreeze due to its sweet taste. Ingestion of this product, however, can lead to kidney failure. If your dog accidentally ingests antifreeze, contact your Winnipeg emergency vet immediately for treatment.
These ornamental plants may look beautiful in your home but pose a risk of liver failure if consumed by your pup. If you love your dog, make sure there are no sago palms anywhere near your abode.
Many pet owners are unaware that detergents and fabric softeners are harmful to dogs, particularly the small, individually wrapped packets as they attract more attention. Biting into a packet of detergent can damage your dog’s mouth, and intestines.
Over the counter and prescription medications meant for people are dangerous to dogs. Make sure these are stored in a safe place far away from your pup.
Foods like grapes, raisin bread, and chocolate can be hazardous to your canine’s health, leading to kidney failure and other health issues. By keeping your pup away from all people food, you can protect his health.
See Your Winnipeg Emergency Vet for Poison Ingestion Treatment